The Great Feast of our Lord’s Nativity in the Flesh (Christmas) is approaching and most of December is–in some sense–an ongoing preparation for this glorious Mystery! Moving us towards Christmas, we celebrate a number of milestones that help us approach this Celebration:
- We are now deep into the Nativity Fast (that extends though Christmas Eve)
- St. Nicholas Day (Vespers & Chidlren’s Program at 630pm Dec. 5 / Liturgy at 7am Dec. 6)
- St. Herman Day (Akathist in Berea @ St. Nina Mission at 630pm Dec. 12 / Akathist in Nicholasville at 630pm Dec. 13)
- The two Pre-Christmas Sundays (Dec. 17 & 24)
- Baptisms/Receptions of Converts before our 630pm Vigil on Saturday, Dec. 23.
- Explore our full online parish schedule (updated 3 months in advance) or view the hard copy of the December 2023 calendar, on the right.
Over the course of this season, we welcome you to visit our parish community of St. Athanasius and learn about our Apostolic Faith and the explore the practical side of our parish ministries. We also welcome those who are in (or close to) Madison County to consider a visit our St. Nina Mission, which helps extend the reach of the Orthodox Faith along the I-75 corridor and Wilderness Trail. (You can subscribe to our St. Nina weekly email here. You can sign up for our main weekly parish email here.) Among the regular services and events you’ll generally find each week at our church in Nicholasville (just minutes south from Lexington) are:
- 630pm Saturday Evening Service (Cathedral Vigil or Great Vespers)
- 730pm Saturday Confessions following the evening service
- 930am Sunday Liturgy with Fellowship Hour following
- 12-1230pm Sunday Bread Ministry (free distribution of bread/foods )
- 630pm Wednesday Vespers
- 720-820pm Wednesday Christian Education: Catechesis & Learning
- 820pm Small Compline & Confessions (during December)
- other services, especially Molebens and Akathists, according to the calendar
Below is a collection of photos from November 2023–showing the full range of life in our parish–from fall bonfires to visiting priests, from business meetings to music conferences, from helping those in need, to a Baptism and other Sacraments. We hope these photos and the depth of our Faith inspire you to visit us during this month!